The Abridged Series Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Abridged Series Forums

The Abridged Series.org... where discussions on all things abridged is discussed here. Whether you're an abridger or just a fan, all are welcome...

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Second Avatar Abridged Series

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FireLordZuko

Second Avatar Abridged Series Empty
PostSubject: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 8:30 am

Hello everyone. First time poster and first time abridger. I've been a fan of Ganxingba for years but decided to start my own Avatar Abridged and I want to know your opinion of it. It's just a preview of about 3 minutes. I want to know if this is good before I finish it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EhujYOe7dE
Back to top Go down
Truthordeal
Co-Administrator
Truthordeal

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:05 am

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you.

Feel free to look around and contribute or learn from the community. We haven't had a really lively discussion in a while, so if you have any questions, comments or concerns, feel free to ask here and I'm sure one of us will be happy to answer.

Or if you need voice actors in later episodes, we even have something for that here.

Have at it.

-Truthordeal
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amandestinedtobeking
FireLordZuko

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Awesome! I wish I knew about this place when I was looking for VA's, but I'll need more in the future.
Back to top Go down
Truthordeal
Co-Administrator
Truthordeal

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 2:39 pm

Well, now, I noticed that you have Bowen13 as a VA. I remember him from Howl's Moving Castle Abridged auditions, and he was clearly one of the front-runners with AdamWestsLapdog.
Back to top Go down
FireLordZuko

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Back to top Go down
Truthordeal
Co-Administrator
Truthordeal

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 11:21 pm

I posted my comment to it already.
Back to top Go down
1KidsEntertainment
Co-Administrator
1KidsEntertainment

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 10:29 am

I would like to express my dire warnings not to watch this person's series or support his show.

Upon watching his first episode, I had decided that while definitely nothing extraordinary, It did show potential. I commented such in the Episode 1 preview (which he had posted before the full Episode 1's release)

He and I seemed to exchange some form of friendly dialogue and went about our business.

Several months later, I noticed a friend invite and subscriber named "AvatarAbridged". I hastefully declined the friend invite (I do not friend people who are not... well.... friends), but I went to check out his channel.

He had over 300 subscribers and 1 episode.

Impressive, no?

Wrong.

AvatarAbridged is one of the new age abridgers who is clearly doing it for the wrong reasons, and I shall tell you why:

Upon first looking at his channel, the most blatantly obvious thing on it is the list of over 1000 friends. I have seen this many, many times before (many of you might even know about how I rant about it) but the only thing that can possibly tick me off more than a random friend invite (friend invite from someone you don't know, and/or are not "friend"s with) is a random friend invite with the purpose to promote their own videos.

Clearly, this is what he is doing.

In his "300+ subscriber appreciation video" he mentions "Thanks to everyone who accepted friend invites!"

Sorry, "AvatarAbridged". Any GOOD abridged series out there (that isn't in it for the intarwebz popularity, that is) does not issue out friend invites to promote their series. We EARN our subscribers by making GOOD CONTENT and letting people FIND IT ON THEIR OWN. There's a reason it took me over a year to reach where I am now.

You are clearly doing this for the wrong reasons. I advise you stop. You won't have any TRUE fans as long as your series is shit, and you certainly won't have a good series if you're doing it for the intarwebz fame, and not for fun.

Well, whatever. I decided to drop all of this and ignore his friend invite. I dropped... ALL OF IT.

And today, I see that he sends me ANOTHER friend invite. So, now fed up with it (he is not the only person I have experienced who uses this scummy method), I commented on his channel:

"Stop sending me friend invites. I lost all respect for you when I found out you abuse the friend feature on YouTube to promote your videos."

Less than an hour later, my comment is deleted, my subscriber count goes down by 1 (and vanishes from his subscriptions list), and his list of friends is not viewable anymore on his page. He doesn't want anyone else to find out how he did it, like I did.

You are scum, sir. I enjoy BAD abridged series more than I could ever enjoy your stuff. I will never give you an ounce of good PR. In fact, I will make sure all of my friends in the Abridging world (of which I seem to have acquired quite a few) know that you have stooped to such a level, and are not worth our time.

Try censoring me here like you did on your channel. Or maybe, you have the balls to respond to this?

EDIT: If you need more proof, he also attempts to get more views on his videos by putting "GanXingba" in the tags of said videos.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/1KidsEntertainment
Truthordeal
Co-Administrator
Truthordeal

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 am

Well well, I've seen plenty like these but never one that was actually successful at it.

AA, I dealt with a troll in the past who, after flaming my series for no apparent reason, decided he would try to make a Zoids Abridged too. Of course, I wished him well, even after he harassed me for a week afterward because he had more views on a slideshow that I did on my channel.

Long story short, I've dealt with people who consider the number of views, or comments or subscribers to be the absolute judge of quality. It is not. It never will be, and the only people who share this mentality are the ones who, as 1Kids pointed out, are looking for Internet fame.

If you're looking for Internet fame, go do something else. It's taken me a year and a half to break 100 subscribers, partially due to suspensions, but mostly due to lack of quality, and seeing other people cheat to get ahead is not something I'll abide by, nor is it something that the community will abide by.

From what I've seen of your series, you can write a script, you can edit, and you can assemble a cast of voice actors and put it all together. You are not, however, an abridger. And if you keep up this trend, you never will be.

I'll let you have the last word before locking this thread. Good day, sir.
Back to top Go down
1KidsEntertainment
Co-Administrator
1KidsEntertainment

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 am

Truthordeal wrote:
Well well, I've seen plenty like these but never one that was actually successful at it.

AA, I dealt with a troll in the past who, after flaming my series for no apparent reason, decided he would try to make a Zoids Abridged too. Of course, I wished him well, even after he harassed me for a week afterward because he had more views on a slideshow that I did on my channel.

Long story short, I've dealt with people who consider the number of views, or comments or subscribers to be the absolute judge of quality. It is not. It never will be, and the only people who share this mentality are the ones who, as 1Kids pointed out, are looking for Internet fame.

If you're looking for Internet fame, go do something else. It's taken me a year and a half to break 100 subscribers, partially due to suspensions, but mostly due to lack of quality, and seeing other people cheat to get ahead is not something I'll abide by, nor is it something that the community will abide by.

From what I've seen of your series, you can write a script, you can edit, and you can assemble a cast of voice actors and put it all together. You are not, however, an abridger. And if you keep up this trend, you never will be.

I'll let you have the last word before locking this thread. Good day, sir.

Naw, don't lock the thread. No need. Let him respond.
Back to top Go down
FireLordZuko

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 2:52 pm

Alright, I deserve this. Let me start by saying that I wanted to do this abridged series because of my love of Avatar. But when I started a new account to put the series on I started networking to build up buzz and I started getting subscribers. I always thought what I was doing was just networking because I researched a lot about youtube and abridged series and I guess I got greedy along the way. I agree with you both, I started judging my success on feedback. The people that I sent friend requests to were Avatar fans and they subscribed because they wanted to. I don't send messages begging people to subscribe, so I thought that friend requests would give people a chance to see my videos and offer their input. I was (and still am) really passionate about my series and I would anything to see it succeed. I have a lot of respect for abridgers and I would love to be on the same level as some of my favorites such as MasterWGS, Masakox, and you 1kids. I loved when you offered your opinion about my series. I guess I got a big head as a result. I know that my series needs work and that I have a long way to go before I become an 'abridger'. Sending friend requests is something I sort of do without thinking and what happened today was that I saw your new Death Note opening and sent you a request without seeing that you have standards for your friends. I honestly did not know that I had already sent you a request and that you had no intentions about being friends. That was a mistake, if I knew that you felt that way I would have kept my distance. When you posted that on my page I started to panick. I have to plead ignorance because I thought that my methods were good. I did not want to hurt anyone, and I thought I wasn't hurting anyone. But what I was doing was hurting my own cause and the cause of the whole abridging genre. I initially thought that you were overreacting and that's why I tried to hide it, and I unsubscribed out of spite. That was uncalled for, and if it means anything, let me just say that I am sorry. My actions to this point just prove that I may never have what it takes to achieve what you all have achieved and that my methods are shameful. I honestly don't deserve another friend or subscriber.

As for the present situation, I would perfectly understand if you all wanted me to quit and leave youtube. But, I honestly want to repair this. I will have to first come clean with my friends and subscribers and apologize to 1kids for trying to censor him. Secondly, I will resubscribe to 1kids because I unsubscribed out of spite and basically spat in his face. That was not right. From this moment on, I will not spam another youtuber to promote my channel or abuse the systems of youtube to promote my own cause. That is not what abridging is about. I will continue to improve my series and accept what may come without manipulating or mooching off of other youtubers.

I do not expect any sort of forgiveness from either of you, I am posting this to acknowledge that what I have done is wrong and to state that I will do what I can to make things right. I accept whatever consequences may come.
Back to top Go down
Truthordeal
Co-Administrator
Truthordeal

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 pm

No one here can in good conscience tell you to stop and get off of Youtube. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the matter. If you stop the cheating now(since I think we can agree that you now know full and well that it is cheating, no?) then you can be redeemed yet.

1Kids said himself that you had potential, so take your reparations and keep doing as you are, you'll be an abridger yet.

One last thing for the future; make sure you keep your passion in the right place. Make sure you're holding your passion for your series over a passion for subscribers and fame. And, have a genuine desire to entertain people and enhance the original material.

FOR THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN ABRIDGER!

-Truth.
Back to top Go down
FireLordZuko

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 3:21 pm

cheers THANK YOU cheers
I have a long way to go, and I plan to do things right from now on.
Back to top Go down
1KidsEntertainment
Co-Administrator
1KidsEntertainment

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:00 pm

FireLordZuko wrote:
Alright, I deserve this. Let me start by saying that I wanted to do this abridged series because of my love of Avatar. But when I started a new account to put the series on I started networking to build up buzz and I started getting subscribers. I always thought what I was doing was just networking because I researched a lot about youtube and abridged series and I guess I got greedy along the way. I agree with you both, I started judging my success on feedback. The people that I sent friend requests to were Avatar fans and they subscribed because they wanted to. I don't send messages begging people to subscribe, so I thought that friend requests would give people a chance to see my videos and offer their input. I was (and still am) really passionate about my series and I would anything to see it succeed. I have a lot of respect for abridgers and I would love to be on the same level as some of my favorites such as MasterWGS, Masakox, and you 1kids. I loved when you offered your opinion about my series. I guess I got a big head as a result. I know that my series needs work and that I have a long way to go before I become an 'abridger'. Sending friend requests is something I sort of do without thinking and what happened today was that I saw your new Death Note opening and sent you a request without seeing that you have standards for your friends. I honestly did not know that I had already sent you a request and that you had no intentions about being friends. That was a mistake, if I knew that you felt that way I would have kept my distance. When you posted that on my page I started to panick. I have to plead ignorance because I thought that my methods were good. I did not want to hurt anyone, and I thought I wasn't hurting anyone. But what I was doing was hurting my own cause and the cause of the whole abridging genre. I initially thought that you were overreacting and that's why I tried to hide it, and I unsubscribed out of spite. That was uncalled for, and if it means anything, let me just say that I am sorry. My actions to this point just prove that I may never have what it takes to achieve what you all have achieved and that my methods are shameful. I honestly don't deserve another friend or subscriber.

As for the present situation, I would perfectly understand if you all wanted me to quit and leave youtube. But, I honestly want to repair this. I will have to first come clean with my friends and subscribers and apologize to 1kids for trying to censor him. Secondly, I will resubscribe to 1kids because I unsubscribed out of spite and basically spat in his face. That was not right. From this moment on, I will not spam another youtuber to promote my channel or abuse the systems of youtube to promote my own cause. That is not what abridging is about. I will continue to improve my series and accept what may come without manipulating or mooching off of other youtubers.

I do not expect any sort of forgiveness from either of you, I am posting this to acknowledge that what I have done is wrong and to state that I will do what I can to make things right. I accept whatever consequences may come.

Well, it definitely shows quite a bit about yourself to be able to admit that you are wrong. I respect that.

You aren't the first person I've seen use that method, sending out friend invites to spark people's interest. While, yes, you don't "force" them to subscribe, it's not cheating the subscribe feature per se, but moreso cheating the friend feature.

The friend feature has 2 main functions at this point in YouTube's life.

1.) When I go to my homepage, I will see my friends' recent activity. This used to be the only way to see someone's recent activity on the homepage. However, YouTube has now added the ability to see Recent Activity of those you are subscribed to. So now, you don't need to have someone's permission to see their Recent Activity. This portion of the friend feature is basically useless, now. If anything, it makes me less likely to friend someone that I am not friendly with. If you're not a friend of mine, and you're not someone I'm interested in seeing favorite/rate stuff.... why would I friend you?

2.) To list my friends. Duh. If I friend someone, it's cause they're a.... friend.

This is why I don't accept 99% of the friend invites I get.

Now, on top of this, I noticed that I was getting friend invites from people who weren't subscribed to me. I didn't figure out for about a half a year WHY they were doing this.

I got a friend invite from a guy named "EliteAbridged", who I rant about quite much. His name somewhat intrigued me, I declined the invite (of course), went to his page, and found a Pokemon Abridged.

Long story short, his series was absolute crap (not even potentially good), but he had more subscribers than me. But he had more friends than subscribers. And that's when it hit me.

It's a bit annoying, when I know that any abridged series I've ever considered "Good", "Meh", or even "Mediocre" had EARNED their subscribers, and that this person had cheated the system, abusing the friend feature to promote his stuff (I also have pretty sufficient evidence he was also engaging in sub 4 sub).

It's advertising. And advertising in and of itself is not bad. But when you advertise by abusing a broken system, then I don't approve.

When I found out that you had been doing that, I was not happy. I hadn't remembered you being a bad person, so it came as a shock. Out of whatever respect I had once had for you, I did not respond when I saw it the first time.

The second time just sent the message across that "I REALLY want you to be my YouTube friend, for whatever reason." That was just kinda the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm sorry that I was so aggressive about the whole thing, but I'm not sorry that it annoys me.

What I would do, if I were you, at this point....

Stop sending friend invites to people who aren't your friend. Start removing people from your friend's list, especially those who are not subscribed to you (it likely just means their policy is "ACCEPT ALL FRIEND INVITES"). Get your friend's list back down to your friends, and show them off on your page with pride.

The rest is up to you. Make good content.

Like I said, it has potential. It might take you a while to get into your groove. Remember that. I started DN:TAS in February '09. I didn't start making anything good (in my opinion) until extremely recently. My episodes 14, 17, and 18 are, in my opinion, my only good episodes.

Don't be in love with your project for the sake of being in love with it. Be in love with it for all the fun it's been.

If it wasn't for my project... I would not be able to edit as I do now. I would not be able to make people laugh as I (allegedly) do now. I would not have an odd-as-hell Ryuk (Or Pikachu, if you prefer) voice to whip out at parties. I would not have met such awesome team members. And I wouldn't be involved with such an awesome community that I can proudly say I am a member of.

That's why you should abridge.

Good luck.

Feel free to delete my other comment on your channel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Second Avatar Abridged Series   Second Avatar Abridged Series I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Second Avatar Abridged Series
Page 1 of 1