The Abridged Series Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Abridged Series Forums

The Abridged Series.org... where discussions on all things abridged is discussed here. Whether you're an abridger or just a fan, all are welcome...

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Which one?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
1KidsEntertainment
Co-Administrator
1KidsEntertainment

Which one? Empty
PostSubject: Which one?   Which one? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:26 pm

I think there are two Sonic X Abridged series I've seen that are even notable.

The first one is by SuperPsyGuy, and features a huuuuuuuge cast.

Sonic: Psyguy
Tails: Kirbopher
Amy: Shannon M.
Knuckles: RittZ
Dr. Eggman: Tomamoto
Decoe: Rina-Chan
Cream: Vero
Cheese: Takahata
Rouge: Little Kuriboh
Cell: Takahata
Police Driver: Cailen
Police Passanger: Kirbopher
Dispatch: Omahdon
Sam Speed: SupaDave
The "Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrry" line: Omahdon
Chris: Johnny Rivera

Here it is, if you haven't seen it:

The other one is by ShadyVox of DarkSideIncorporated. This one has a far smaller cast, but I think that's part of what makes it so extraordinary. Most Voice Actors in the Abridged Community are easily identifiable, such as myself, when you hear one of their voices. ShadyVox is not one of them. His range is amazing, and this is likely helped by his professional microphone (and possibly recording studio?)

Here's the video:

Now, for my thoughts:

SuperPsyGuy's Sonic X Abridged:

I did not like this one. I didn't chuckle. There were not many jokes. The episode is almost nonstop references to things I don't know of, nor do I think I'd have liked it if I did know the references.

I didn't like the voice for Sonic. It didn't sound anything like Sonic to me. It sounded, as stated in the video, like a 30 some year old man was voicing him. Blech.

There were a couple things worth noting, though. First of all, the person playing Eggman, Tomamoto, was brilliant. I really thought PsyGuy had gotten Eggman's real Voice Actor to play him. Well, for the first couple of lines. Eggman then develops some accent which kinda ruins it for me. I don't think it was done on purpose, but it just happened.

LK as Rouge the Bat making a reference to Mai Valentine: Good place for a cameo.

Even though I did not get the reference with Knuckles in it, I did enjoy it. That's something I think that's important when referencing things, that I know I fail to do (and therefore stay away from references in my own series). You need to make references be more than a "Ha, this kinda fits here." Make them funny. Like this one.

"KNUCKLES! DO SOMETHING!"
(Knuckles stands around as music plays)

Thumbs up on that one, but it still didn't make me laugh.

Editing wasn't bad. I didn't notice any screwups, but I can't imagine it took too much work, considering most of the episode was just references (and not dialogue references, either).

ShadyVox's Sonic X Abridged:

I am a fan of ShadyVox/DarkSideIncorporated's writing style. It's similar to LittleKuriboh's earlier work, and it's really golden. The voices were almost all done by 1 person, and also has a cameo by the Littlest of Kuribohs, and Vegeta3986.

I liked Sonic's voice much better than PsyGuy's. And while I think Shady's Eggman voice was slightly less accurate than Tomamoto's, I felt that the accent and consistency was better.

Noteworthy jokes-

Anything the robots said were pretty well scripted and performed.
"Holy Mother of Pingas, it's Sonic!" (What made this joke funny was that it was Eggman saying it)
"I'm totally reporting you guys to PITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
"I want to have his ass. So I can mount it on my wall."
The fighting off screen police officers.
"I repeat, the nets do not work."
"You guys SUCK at being police officers. " (It's the acting on this one that got me, not the script)
"We're the high speed pursuit unit. We specialize in the case of catching anybody who commits a crime and tries to get away in an F1 racing car. And don't you dare say it doesn't happen. Because it totally does."
"I heard you think you're pretty fast. I also haer u liek Mudkipz" (Once again, the acting that did it)
The kid rushing to save Sonic. Genius.

The editing was pretty seamless too. I'm still not sure I like his lip flapping style, but it's still a lot better than it not being lip flapped at all. Good choice of background music, and the sound effects were perfect.

So, what are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/1KidsEntertainment
Truthordeal
Co-Administrator
Truthordeal

Which one? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which one?   Which one? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Shady's take on Sonic X is definitely the superior brand. A lot of it has to do with things you've said, but I have some points to throw in as well.

First off, look at Psyguy's cast:

Quote :
Sonic: Psyguy
Tails: Kirbopher
Amy: Shannon M.
Knuckles: RittZ
Dr. Eggman: Tomamoto
Decoe: Rina-Chan
Cream: Vero
Cheese: Takahata
Rouge: Little Kuriboh
Cell: Takahata
Police Driver: Cailen
Police Passanger: Kirbopher
Dispatch: Omahdon
Sam Speed: SupaDave
The "Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrry" line: Omahdon
Chris: Johnny Rivera

He got a different voice actor for everyone who freaking appeared in the episode. This is a list of the greatest amateur voice actors on the planet; a veritable "who's-who" of people in the voice acting community that are definitely on the level of most professionals, plus at least two members of TeamFourStar. The only people missing are Egoraptor and Kyle freaking Hebert. Any abridger/voice actor/flash animator, would kill to have one of those names in their product.

But does that give Psy an advantage over Shady? Theoretically, it should, but it does not. Except for the previously mentioned Tomamoto and Biggest of all Kuribohs(which is still pretty little) and the extras, the casting was pretty far off the mark.

Now let's look at Shady's cast:

Quote :
Himself-Everyone
LittleKuriboh-Cameos
Vegeta3986-Cameos

Shady's a talented mofo, both at voicing and directing. Not only did he very easily rival the voice acting work of every one mentioned above(except Tomamoto, IMO) by himself, he realizes that directing is more than trying to attach as many big names to your cast list as possible. Yes, he does cop to putting LK as a cameo "simply to say, hey, I got LK to do a cameo," but think about that statement for a little bit. He had the opportunity to have the Grandaddy of Abridging, LittleKuriboh, in his series, and he asked him to play a few cops and some of his YGO-TAS characters. There's something inherently awesome about that.

Having a cast list as diverse and as awesome as the one Psyguy managed to put together comes with some extremely high expectations that he just could not fulfill.

The second point I want to add is an elaboration on one of yours; while ShadyVox's episode was a carefully thought out, cleverly executed, funny as hell video with tons of original dialog and actual Sonic the Hedgehog sound effects, Psyguy's is more a less poorly executed hodgepodge of voice actors, performing a roar of inane Internet references, one after the other. His footage has the freaking TV-Y7 watermark for God's sake!

I mean, this must've been what the script looked like for this:

Sonic: Random useless dialog.

(Pew pew pew, lazors!)(explosions!)(MOAR SOUND EFFECTS & BGM!)

Dr. Robotnik: More random useless dialog.

(ZOMG TEH EXPLOSHUNS!)

And repeat ad nauseum. Ugh. You'd get more substance out of a Michael Bay movie. *snap*

I suppose, for the sake of fairness, its worth noting(if you hadn't figured it out by now) that there is just something about the casting of this many high ranking people that just irks me. I mean, when you have a role open that you can't fill, and LK's available, I think it's pretty cool if you can get him as a character. It's when you try to construct this dream team for no other reason than to say that you have a dream team that kinda ticks me off. One of these groups did that, and thus got a far more negative response from me than they would have from most people.

It just seems like a waste to me. "Oh wow, you got Omahdon, from the VgCats Adaptation-Oh, that's disappointing."

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Plus, the end result stunk. I mean, I could understand something like this from someone just starting; all of us have gone through that period. But then again, we all didn't have LK as a regular cast member to grant us some instant credibility.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/amandestinedtobeking
1KidsEntertainment
Co-Administrator
1KidsEntertainment

Which one? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which one?   Which one? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 9:05 pm

Well, I think Shady had a few other people involved, but I didn't know them at all.

But you could still tell that Shady voiced a lot of them, based on the video you see when he records almost the whole damn thing himself in ONE TAKE.

But yeah, what Truth said. It seems, that sometimes, it's not just who you know, it's what you know.

....but having both doesn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/1KidsEntertainment
Sponsored content

Which one? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which one?   Which one? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which one?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Abridged Series Forums :: Abridged Series Discussions :: Sonic X Abridged-
Jump to: